Monday 15 March 2010

Nesta says no Italy return

Veteran Italian striker Allessandro Nesta has ruled himself out of selection for Italy at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta has decided against coming out of international retirement for Italy at this summer's World Cup finals

Nesta quit the international scene in 2007 as he wanted to focus on his club career after a number of injury problems.



Italy coach Marcello Lippi had wanted Nesta to come out of retirement to boost his squad ahead of the trip to South Africa.

However, the 33-year-old has opted to resist Lippi's overtures and the Italy coach respects the defender's decision.

"He told me, I think definitively, that he doesn't feel it," said Lippi.

"I'm sorry. I wanted to give a boost (to the team), but I respect his decision."



Read more about Nesta says no Italy return...

No comments:

Post a Comment