Sunday 14 March 2010

Hiddink says no to Ivory Coast

With less than a 100 days to go to the World Cup Ivory Coast is still without a coach and now their desperate (and ridiculous) pursuit of Guus Hiddink seems to have come to nothing.

Hiddink's complicated contractual arrangements mean he can't do the Ivorien job.

Hiddink is contracted with Russia until 30 June and has signed a deal to coach Turkey that starts in August.

He said taking charge of the Elephants temporarily will affect his commitment his current and future employers.

"If I had signed for Ivory Coast, then I would have missed these games and to tell the truth I don't think that something for me to do," Hiddink said.

"Although I had a great conversation with the federal president and chief executive Jacques Anouma, I myself had already decided not to go.

"It was a decision taken to avoid unnecessary confusion.

"Though I must admit that with the Ivory Coast it has not been easy."

Russia failed to qualify for the World Cup after losing a play-off against Slovenia and Hiddink was hoping to negotiate an early release from his contract to enable him coach the Ivorians.

But a deal could not be reached so Hiddink will stay in charge of Russia until his contract expires.


Read more about Hiddink says no to Ivory Coast...

No comments:

Post a Comment